Click the image above to view my presentation slides.
1. DON’T Accept the Default
- Seek out an option that is BEST for YOU.
- Make it your mission to fight: “We’ve always done it this way” thinking.
- ALWAYS find a BETTER way!
2. Develop a GROWTH MINDSET
- Remind yourself that failure is an important part of learning. FAIL FORWARD!
- Understand the power of positive self-talk. Change your words; Change your mindset.
- Look to examples of famous people who failed multiple times before achieving success.
3. Be so GOOD They Can’t Ignore You
- Do MORE than the default – Arrive early and stay late!
- PRACTICE what you don’t know. WORK on your weaknesses.
- Be AVAILABLE at ALL times!
- Volunteer for everything.
- CRUSH the competition!
4. NEVER Stop Learning
- Embark on self-directed, passion-based professional and personal development.
- Listen to podcasts, view webinars, and READ whatever you can get your hands on.
- Become an expert in your field at your own blistering speed. “The standard pace is for chumps.” Kimo Williams
- Curate and share content with colleagues/friends.
5. CREATE as Much as you Consume
6. SHOW your WORK
- Brag about your successes, your creations and your workplace on social media.
- Don’t hold back because you worry that it’s not good enough or original enough. “To be original, you don’t have to be FIRST, you just have to be DIFFERENT and BETTER.” ~Adam Grant
- Create a website, a digital newsletter or a YouTube channel to spread the word.
- As a job-seeker in the new millennium, you are your own personal brand. Therefore, it’s in your best interest to promote yourself.
7. Establish a POSITIVE and PROFESSIONAL digital presence for yourself
- Understand that your digital footprint (tattoo) is permanent and you have total control over the content you put out there. So keep it positive and appropriate!
- THINK before you POST!
- REMEMBER that employers will VET your social media accounts.
8. GET Connected
- Discover the VIBRANT community of AMAZING professionals on Twitter. Follow hashtags! This has been a true GAME-CHANGER for me! I’ve learned more on Twitter in months than in years of traditional PD.
- Grow your PLN (Personal/Professional Learning Network).
- Go to meetups, conferences, and workshops (the topic matters less than the people you connect with).
9. Save EVERYTHING
- Keep a journal and or blog about your successes and failures in school and the workplace.
- Take pictures, make “Best of” slide shows, and share your work: product and process.
- Keep a digital portfolio of everything you do with your students.
- Digitize your resume using apps like Smore/Canva and continually update it.
10. EMBRACE CHANGE
- and you will rarely be disappointed!
One thought on “10 Strategies to Ensure Success in School, Work, and Life”
Amazing work! Thanks for sharing this out.
LikeLiked by 1 person